Dreaming of adventure? My friend Susanne did more than dream: she quit her job to start an internet clothing business. I read about her in Vogue, which raved about Fina Du’s mix of Scandinavian designers. Soon afterward, I set up an interview. We’ve been friends ever since.
Based in an airy loft, she sells clothes by designers like Malina, Mayla, Greta and By Malene Birger. Susanne calls her style ‘relaxed elegance’ - forgiving, fascinating, feminine clothes. Meetings all day, dinner out, no time to go home and change? Fina Du has the answer. Scandi fashion is ice-hot and Susanne says it’s about more than how we blend function and femininity – the seduction is in the image. We’re inspired by Susanne and her stellar career.
Tell us about you – when did you move to New York?
– Six years ago. I relocated from Sweden with my former employer. I met my husband here (he was my neighbour) and we married in 2010. We have two kids and live in Tribeca.
What made you set up Fina Du in the competitive NY fashion world?
– I’ve always been interested in fashion and wanted to bring my favourite Scandinavian designers to the US market.
Your penthouse in Tribeca is stunning. What brought you here?
– Thanks! It's a great family neighbourhood. We live in the historic district with a view of the Hudson, which we love!
What’s it like running a successful business selling Scandinavian fashion to American women?
– Challenging, interesting and fun! Fina Du now has customers all over the world.
How would you describe your own fashion and beauty style?
– Classic and practical when I'm with my kids, effortlessly chic for work and going out.
What’s your take on makeup?
– I believe you can enhance your personality with your makeup and overall style. You can set the mood with day/night makeup (like smoky eyes for evening). And pink lipgloss can really perk you up on the dullest day!
Your favourite party look?
– Strapless lace, Louboutin heels and red lipstick!
How do you create the perfect look for a romantic dinner?
– A feminine silk dress, a statement necklace, a clutch and my favourite heels. And self-tanner for instant glow!
What beauty products are always in your clutch?
– Lipgloss and powder.
Describe your favourite makeup look.
– Fresh-faced and natural!
What are your go-to beauty products for spring in New York?
– Body peeling with sweet almond oil to remove all the "winter dryness" and finish off with a lovely scented lotion. A nice self tanner for a healthy glow!
What are your best beauty quick fixes when you are in a hurry?
– BB cream, concealer, nude gloss and bronzing powder.